A day in the life of a Villa Kalayana guest. P.S. – this could be you!
There’s plenty to do on the island of Koh Samui but it will take a lot of willpower to drag yourself away from the villa! With everything available on your doorstep from the white sand beach to the fabulous cuisine and in-house massage, a day at home pampering yourself and enjoying the surroundings makes for a perfect way to relax and unwind. Whether you are a family group, a wedding party or a corporate retreat, some individual time to indulge is just a step away. We have put together an itinerary for a special in-house villa day, so you don’t even have to plan it yourself!
Holidays are for lying in, but for one day, get up for sunrise and take a walk along the beach to witness the changing colours of the sky and sea, enjoy the morning breeze and feel like you are on your own private beach. This will set you up nicely for a healthy, filling breakfast on your terrace on your return. With fresh seasonal fruits, a selection of bread (gluten-free if required), muesli and yogurts, it’s a breakfast charged with vitamins and vitality.
Don your swimwear, step off your terrace, through the lush garden to the huge beachside pool for a few laps or float around on a lilo catching the morning sun. After a cooling shower in your outside tropical rain shower, time to catch up on your favourite book, send those pics to envious friends or listen to your favourite tunes beachside under an umbrella. The attentive staff will be there to create a delicious juice as you then chat with the chef about your choice of meals for the following day- making your mouth water in anticipation.
Feed the body and soul
Having fed the body, it’s time to stretch it and feed the soul with a private yoga session form a professionally trained yogi. Whether you are a novice or a seasoned practitioner, the session suits all. Your teacher will guide you through the positions as you flow through a sequence ensuring all muscles are warmed and stretched and your thoughts are present and your breath energising and fulfilling. With such aptly named poses as the tree, the lotus and sun salutations you’ll feel a real connection with nature and your surroundings. The practice finishes with a gentle relaxation technique – don’t worry if you fall asleep, it’s all part of the process!
An hour’s yoga session will leave you hungry, so it’s time to sample the tasty dishes you ordered yesterday. Some particular favourites are:
- Papaya salad – a green papaya, dried prawns, garlic, long bean, fresh chilli, lime and fish sauce – bursting with flavour and goodness.
- Pad Thai – fried noodle with tofu, egg, carrot, garlic, dry prawns and tamarind sauce – always a winner
- Stir fry with fresh seafood and locally grown herbs and spices
- Sandwiches, paninis and baguettes – with a wide choice of fillings
- Mango and sticky rice drizzled with coconut milk– perfect for those with a sweet tooth
Catch up with what the rest of the group has been doing over the leisurely ‘family share’ lunch served in your choice of location – poolside, beachside or the dining room with panoramic views of the ocean.
Once you are replenished and taste buds are still reeling from the Thai cuisine experience, it’s time for a well-deserved nap as the heat of the day sets in. The options of a snooze space around the villa can make choosing difficult. Retreat to your a/c cooled bungalow, plonk yourself down on a sun chair by the pool or throw your sarong under a tree on the beach…. and relax.
Hmmm… What massage do I choose?
After yoga and a nap, your body will be well relaxed and ready for a massage. Having chosen your preferred treatment, your private masseuse and you retire to the beachside massage salas for your muscles to enjoy a heavenly hour.
Depending on how you feel, the following are the options available:
- Thai massage: a traditional Thai massage incorporates a combination of point pressure, energy meridian work, and yoga-like stretching to leave you feeling invigorated and balanced. No oil is used, and it’s best to dress in comfortable, loose clothing. It’s the perfect massage for those who have stiff, sore, and tired muscles as it promotes strength and flexibility, relaxes the sore or tense muscles, helps regain range of motion and relieve stress. All these benefits in one hour.
- Swedish: if relaxation is the outcome you are looking for from your massage then this is for you, as the primary aim of a Swedish massage is to relax the whole body. The masseuse rubs your muscles with long gliding strokes, following the direction of the blood to the heart. It is also beneficial for increasing levels of oxygen in the blood, flushing toxins and improving circulation and flexibility. Techniques also include circular pressure, firm kneading, tapping like stokes and bending and stretching. Your therapist will ask and discuss with you about which essential oils or lotions to use to suit your skin type and mood.
- Sports: For any sports enthusiasts, this is the perfect massage as it works on correcting problems and imbalances in the soft tissue caused by repetitive, strenuous physical activity. It involves the manipulation of soft tissue which is the connective tissue that has not hardened into bone and cartilage and includes everything from the skin, muscles, tendon to ligaments. The massage includes a variety of techniques from gentle stroking movements to aid circulation, warm the muscles and stimulate the nerves, a more intense kneading to stretch and ease tension to the more intense stage used to separate muscle fibres and break down scar tissue.
- Aromatherapy massage: With an aromatherapy massage the sense of smell is added to the mix. Essential oils which are highly concentrated plant oils are added to the oil as they are believed to promote beneficial changes in the mind and body and are absorbed through the skin. It’s the one to go for if you have aching muscles or joints and want to relieve tension and stress. Additionally, an aromatherapy massage can relieve headaches, insomnia, back pain and PMS. The oils are said to have different properties so in discussion with your therapist and smelling the various oils you can tailor make the massage to suit you.
Oils and their properties:
- Jasmine: is an antidepressant and antiseptic. It soothes the nerves, gives a sense of confidence and optimism and helps restore lost energy and vitality. It relieves muscle pain, sprained and stiff limbs.
- Lemon grass is an antimicrobial, antiseptic and antidepressant. It softens and smoothes the skin and is great for headaches.
- Oil papaya is rich in omega 9 essential fatty acids so it works as anti-inflammatory, analgesic and moisturiser. If used regularly it can make the skin soft and supple.
- Coconut is nourishing for the skin, and is often the main ingredient in creams for face and body, hair masks and shampoos with a relaxing aroma.
- Ylang Ylang is closely linked to the body, emotions and mind. It helps balance hormones, lifts your mood and calms your mind is linked to healing matters of the heart.
- Make sure you let your masseuse know if you have any injuries and whether you prefer a soft, medium or hard massage. Also make sure they are aware of any allergies to oils or lotions you may have.
The Cocktail Hour
It’s the time of the evening when the sun is about to set and a cocktail is needed to complete the scene. Connect with the rest of your group beachside to compare notes as you watch the day transition to night and sip on a Mai Thai or Sea Breeze cocktail.
How else to finish off the day better than with a beach BBQ with fresh, local seafood and fish or a large juicy steak or a tasty chicken drumstick. The ever helpful, attentive staff discretely set up the chairs and tables by the beach so the first idea you have that the BBQ is ready is that unmistakable smoky aroma that makes your mouth water. The BBQ will be served buffet style with different stations for the meat, seafood, salads and vegetables and bread for you to go and choose from. Second and third helpings are never frowned upon!
Treat yourself to an early night making the most of your incredibly comfortable bed in your bungalow. Turn down the lights, put on your favourite music, allow the a/c to cool your body and drift off. Just think you can do it all again tomorrow – it’s not just a dream!
If it’s too early for bed, and you want to make the most of all your time at the villa then why not have a pool party? Enjoy the beach side pool, illuminated with thousands of colourful LED lights as you listen to your favourite tunes, sup on your favourite tipple and enjoy the banter and company of your friends and family under the stars. If you plan in advance then a great DJ or a live band